Swim Team News:
Here is the May 13th update from the GCSL:
We are writing with some challenging news. No one could have foreseen the disruptions we are experiencing due to COVID-19. The spread of this virus has resulted in significant changes in our daily lives. Despite our best efforts to adjust and try to push back the start to the swim season, we have come to the conclusion that we cannot safely proceed with the 2020 GCSL Summer Swim Season.
Over the last nine weeks, the Board of Directors has conducted numerous meetings and phone conferences to identify all options possible in order to proceed with the season. Based on commentary from the Federal, State, Local Government and the CDC’s new requirements to open aquatic facilities, there is no way to adequately have our all-volunteer team council maintain social distance, disinfect and keep everyone safe around the pool with the number of participants and spectators at each swim meet and practice session.
There are over 6,000 swimmers that participate within the GCSL and we understand that there will be great disappointment. We too are disappointed. However, part of our objectives for a successful swim season includes keeping our swimmers, their families, and the spectators safe.
We understand that there will be many questions due to the cancellation of the GCSL Swim Season. Here are some key details currently:
▪️Swimmer Fees ($15) collected via GCSL will be fully refunded – funds will be sent to your team by JUNE 1 for distribution to family members.
▪️Each Team will communicate their own reimbursement processes to their families
▪️There will be no sponsored GCSL events this year; including group gatherings, practices, or swim meets.
The GCSL Board of Directors is already looking ahead and planning for the 2021 season. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time and wish you and your families a safe and healthy summer.
Gwinnett County Swim League Board of Directors
Key Dates for the 2020 summer season:
- May 11th - 1st Day of Practice
- May 21st - Practice Meet - 5:30pm warm-up; 6:00pm start at the Richland Pool
- May 28th - Meet 1 vs. Berkshire (Home Meet)
- May 29th - Picture Day
- June 4th - Meet 2 vs. Steeple Station (Home Meet)
- June 11th - Meet 3 vs. Youth Swimming (Away Meet)
- June 18th - Meet 4 vs. Hidden Falls (Away Meet)
- June 25th - Meet 5 vs. Maple Ridge (Home Meet)
- June 29th - Meet 6 vs. Rivershyre (Away Meet)
- July 11th & 12th - County Meet @ Georgia Tech
Welcome to the Waves!
Welcome to the Richland Waves Summer Swim Team. We are excited about the upcoming season. Here are a few key points to get everything started smoothly.
- Practice starts on Monday 5/11/2020
- These practices are for athletes who can swim the length of the pool by themselves. Afternoon practice times will be as follows:
- High School practice is from 3:00 – 4:30
- Elementary School practice is from 4:30 – 5:15
- Middle School practice is from 5:15 – 6:00
- No Practice on 5/22 and 5/25 for Memorial Day Weekend.
- Practices are Monday through Friday
- Morning practices will start on 5/26. The schedule will be updated on the website as soon as we receive it from the GCSL. Morning practice times will be as follows:
- 11-12 year olds practice from: 8:00-8:45am
- 13-14 & 15-18 year olds practice from 8:45-9:45am
- 7-8 & 9-10 year olds practice from 9:45-10:30am
- 6 & under and Bubbles practice from 10:30-11:00am
- What to Bring
- Please wear tennis shoes and gym clothes over their swimsuit to the first week of practice. The coaches may elect to do dryland activities.
- Swim Cap
- Bubble’s – Learn to swim group
- Bubbles practice will start on 5/26 at 10:30am
- If you are unsure if your child can swim the length of the pool please bring your athlete to practice on Wednesday 5/13 for an evaluation.
- New Swimmers
- If you have a new swimmer to the Richland Waves please bring a copy of your athlete’s birth certificate to the first practice you attend. Your child will not be allowed to compete in a meet until this has been received.
- A Parent Meeting will take place on Wednesday
May 13th at 5:20.
- This will be an informal meeting to answer any questions. This is mainly directed towards parents new to our swim team.
- Please sign up for “Rain-Out” by texting “waves”
- This is how we will announce last minute changes to practices and meets.